In this section of the site, information will be provided on the following:
- Overview: Introduction to acid-base and a list of definitions.
- The different types of acid-base disturbances: Metabolic acidosis, metabolic alkalosis, respiratory acidosis, respiratory alkalosis, and mixed disturbances. We also provide more details on specific acid-base abnormalities, e.g. L- and D-lactic acidosis.
- Response: How the body responds for a primary acid-base abnormality.
- Laboratory detection of acid-base disturbances: How to collect samples and use laboratory test results to identify the acid-base abnormalities and compensatory responses. More information is given on specific test results, such as bicarbonate and anion gap.
- Strong ion approach: How this approach is used to identify acid-base abnormalities.
- Quick test interpretation: Summary tables and diagnostic algorithms for interpreting common acid-base abnormalities (not an exhaustive list).